The spirit of The Don has been an integral part of 20 St. Swithins Lane since 1798 when the young Perthshire Scot George Sandeman took over the site as the cellar for his port sherry and wine company. The black-caped figure of The Don with his flat black sombrero has long been a symbol of excellence in the world of ports and sherries.
Those ports and sherries were shipped to London from Oporto and Jerez on the Iberian Peninsula in their handsome wooden casks, which were lowered down into the basement bottling cellars by the handturned Capital Patent Crane. The Crane, which was at that time considered a remarkable feat of engineering still stands in the shed that is today the entrance to the Don Restaurant and Bistro.
The Don is justly proud of its award-winning wine list of more than 400 wines and champagnes. Its vinous history as a bottling cellar started in 1798 and continued until 1969 and is still reflected in our extensive collection of Ports,Sherries and Madeiras with vintages dating back to 1900.
The tradition of generous hospitality and fine restauration has always run deep at 20 St. Swithins Lane.
The Courtyard, 20 St Swithin Lane
|Telephone||0207 626 2606|